Wall House #2
Wall House is a true sight to see, with its wealth of shapes, colours, interesting details, symbols and meanings. It is a prime example of the architecture of the 1980s and 1990s, when Groningen played a key role in showcasing international postmodern architecture.
The exuberant private home was designed by architect John Quentin Hejduk (New York 1929–2000 New York). Learn more about the story of the house and its architect.
Open to the public
Wall House #2 will open June 1.
On Monday June 1, The exhibition The Art of Waste in Wall House #2 will open its doors. The exhibition features work from ‘waste artist’ Maria Koijck, and found objects from Nick Landman. Both artists present their views on waste in a unique way. The exhibition also features work by photographer Caroline Penris and visual artist Joukje Pees.
Maria Koijck (Hoogezand-Sappemeer, 1965) created her first community art project, Petty de Zwaan (Petty the Swan), in 2010. Together with the residents of Hoornse Meer, a neighbourhood in Groningen, she collected 15,000 plastic bottles from the area near Wall House #2. These bottles were then used as buoyant material to fill the three meters tall swan. For two months, Petty floated around in the nearby lake of Hoorsemeer. She was the first of dozens more community art projects that incorporate waste products, in the Netherlands as well as internationally.
Koijck’s objects displayed on the second floor of Wall House #2 are also made from plastic bottles. Koijck’s intention is to use her art to create awareness of our current ways of waste disposal.
One floor below, Nick Landman (Hilversum, 1955) displays his findings from the nearby nature reserve Friescheveen. Landman – vocational audio-visual art teacher – discovered several objects between the roots of the trees that had been uprooted by a heavy storm. As it turned out, the reserve had been used as a landfill between 1910 and 1930. Sixty of his findings are on display at The Wall House #2. Together with Groninger historian Beno Hofman, Landman tried to find the stories behind the objects.
This autumn, results of their cooperation will be displayed on an even larger scale at the exhibition Stort! at the Noordelijk Scheepvaartmuseum.
Caroline Penris and Joukje Pees
Works by photographer Caroline Penris (Rotterdam, 1963) and visual artist Joukje Pees (Meppel, 1957) are displayed in the long entrance hall at the Wall House. Their art also features ‘waste’ as a theme.
Litter tour to end at Wall House
Between June 16 and 20, Italian artist Martina Dal Brollo will host a five day long Connect & Collect Walk through the province of Groningen. She will pick up any waste she encounters along the way. On the last day of the event, Saturday June 20, she will travel across the water from the Reitdiephaven to the Hoornsemeer in order to collect any waste floating around in the water. Her journey will end at Wall House #2. The walk is sponsored by Groningen Schoon Dankzij Mij and the environmental stewards of the city management of the municipality of Groningen.
The building will be open to visitors on every Saturday and Sunday between June 1 (second day of Pentecost) and November 1, 2020, from 12.00 to 17.00. Entry is free. The Wall House #2 is located at A.J. Lutulistraat 17 in Groningen.
The national policies of the RIVM apply in Wall House #2. To guarantee the safety of our guests and employees, only five people can enter the building at a time. There is no need to book in advance.
Exhibition The Art of Waste can be visited until November 1, 2020.
A. J. Lutulistraat 17, 9728 WT Groningen
- take line 10 from the main train and bus station (Hoofdstation) to Hoornse Meer and get off at the Palmelaan stop. From there it is 500 meters and a five-minute walk along the Hoornsemeer lake, with Wall House soon appearing on your right hand side.
- or take line 9 from the main train and bus station (Hoofdstation) to Airport Eelde and get off at Hoornse Plas stop. From there it is 600 meters and a 6 mnutes walk to Wall House, which is indicated by signs.
From the A28 motorway exit at ‘Groningen Zuid’ and then travel along Van Ketwich Verschuurlaan, turning right if coming from the north, left if coming from the south; cross the bridge, follow Laan Corpus Den Hoorn until the traffic lights and turn left there onto Sportlaan; take the second exit at the roundabout onto S.O.J. Palmelaan; follow it curving to the right, turn left at the second street, M.L. Kingstraat, and follow it until you see Wall House in the fourth street on the left, located on the right side at A. J. Lutulistraat 17.
Wall House is easy to reach by bicycle. Hire an OV-fiets at the main train and bus station (Hoofdstation), or see http://fietsen.groningen.nl for other places to rent bicycles in Groningen. View the route from the Groninger Museum to Wall House here.
Visiting Wall House #2 outside regular opening hours
A visit outside opening hours costs € 100 (including VAT). For this you have one hour of exclusive access to the Wall House #2 under the supervision of a museum teacher who will guide your group. This tour lasts half an hour, after which there is an opportunity to ask questions. Maximum 30 people.
Wall House is not accessible for wheelchair users and users of mobility scooters. Visitors with reduced mobility should bear in mind that each floor can only be reached by stairs.
You can register via firstname.lastname@example.org or +31 (0) 50 3 666 555.
Wall House can be rented for customized receptions.
Cost per half the day € 140.00 (excl. VAT & excl. personnel costs)
Costs per day € 240.00 (excl. VAT & excl. personnel costs).
During the exhibition Gunta Stölzl: 100 years of Bauhaustoffen, rental is only possible with the use of museum personnel.
For a customized quotation you can contact Gea Schenk, e-mail email@example.com, or with the Bookings department of the Groninger Museum firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: +31 (0) 50-3666514.
About Wall House #2
Wall House was originally designed in 1973 as a vacation home for landscape architect A.E. Bye (Ridgefield, Connecticut, USA). At the time, however, it was not built. The home would only be constructed in 2001 in Groningen, thanks to the Blue Moon architecture festival. Another of Hejduk’s works in Groningen is the city marker along the A7 motorway, entitled The Tower of Cards / The Tower of Letters / The Joker’s Perch, constructed as part of Groningen’s 950th anniversary celebrations in 1990.
The focal point of the design is a 14-metre-high wall stretching 18.5 metres. Hanging from this are various organically shaped spaces and rooms. The entrance, an interior bridge and office are situated on the other side of the wall.
In 2004 a foundation named Stichting Wall House #2 acquired the building, tasked with providing it with a public and cultural function. In the summer of 2005, the house was opened to the public with four types of activities on the programme: artist in residence, opening to the public, various events and knowledge development.
In 2016, the City of Groningen requested the Groninger Museum to manage Wall House, especially to ensure its public use and cultural designation. According to the Groninger Museum, an architectural icon in its own right, Wall House is a promising attraction and excellent venue for experimenting with small-scale design-related exhibitions that can also serve as an instrument for talent development.
A biography of John Hejduk, architect of Wall House #2
John Quentin Hejduk (New York 1929–2001 New York) was an avant-garde architect particularly renowned as theoretician. Few of his designs have actually been built, but thanks to his theoretical-didactic work he is counted among the leaders of the New York Five, which also includes Richard Meier and Peter Eisenman, architects who feature in the Groningen Museum Collection as well.
Hejduk was trained at Cooper Union Institute in New York, the University of Cincinnati in Ohio and Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He then gained practical experience at various architectural offices, including that of Ieoh Ming Pei. In the 1950s he began his lifelong investigation of the foundations of architectural design, basing himself on the formal principles of art movement De Stijl. He developed many ideas, transforming these into designs which were also inspired by the visual arts and literature. In 1965 he established himself as an independent architect in New York, while also teaching at Cooper Union. Hejduk was instrumental to theory development at Cooper Union, where, like in the Bauhaus movement, architecture was alloyed with other art disciplines. His students included Daniel Libeskind, who has also worked for the City of Groningen.
Hejduk initially designed rigidly geometrical homes. The Wall House series, which is regarded as his masterpiece, was also conceived in this early period. The series revolves around a half-metre thick wall in which the entrance is situated and from which all the other spaces in the home are suspended.
Hejduk’s fame largely rests on his theoretical body of never-constructed designs. His oeuvre of buildings that actually saw light is modest, comprising Demlin House in Locus Calley on Long Island (1960), Hommel Apartment in New York (1969), the restoration of Cooper Union’s Foundation Building in New York (1975), a residential development with studio tower in the Charlottenstrasse in Berlin (1986–1988) and a villa on the Tegeler Hafen in Berlin (1985–1988).